Wednesday, May 18, 2005

What are you listening too?

I am writing this blog listening to the new Weezer album, “Make Believe,” which makes me wonder what new music other people are listening to. To be honest, I know that I have “grown up” as I am now musically stuck in a time warp. Yup, think about it; what did your parents listen to? They were not the keenest on the latest music, but listened to the music of their generation, whether that was the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s. Sure, they occasionally found something new to listen to, but for the most part, it either had to sound like something from their generation, or it was a new release from an artist from their generation. For me it is bands like Luna, Weezer, Lush, the Cure, Ben Folds, some hair metal (twisted I know), and Sebadoh or music that falls into their genre and styling that I tend to lean to. Looking at my purchases as of late I have downloaded songs from Ben Folds latest album that sound like music from “Whatever and Ever Amen,” Weezer—as mentioned earlier, Lou Bartlow, Bloc Party, and Monade (thanks J.K. for pointing this one out). To add to the signs that I am now officially a grown up (other than being 31 years old, married, and a corporate slave) I now get angry at those damn kids and their devil music. Seriously, I actually will wave my fist in the air and yell at them. Someone put me out of my misery… but then again, at least I have acknowledged it. So, what are you listening to? Are you in the same boat? Write me a comment.

On a secondary note, it looks like I have avoided knee surgery for at least the time being. I am going to try physical therapy one more time to try to get the ilo-tibial band to stretch more. The doctor also wants me to see a podiatrist to have some custom inserts made to reduce the pronation of my right foot that may reduce the pressure on the injury. If this does not work I am then looking at knee surgery again, which if I have not noted, will suck. I like the wait and see approach at this time, although I am getting the itch to ride at least 1 century this year, or even enter one more adventure race (For those who think I am nuts, it is like a drug, an accomplishment high that makes you want to do it again and again).

OK one last thing. My two favorite shows this year are “Lost” and “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Until next time…..

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm afraid that I've really "grown up" as I'm listening to Schuber & Dvorak today. Yesterday I listened to Left of the Dial (70s & 80s Punk and Goth compilation) and Vivaldi. I'm trying to think what I bought at Switched On last time I was there: Cheap Trick, the Monkees, I can't remember the rest....sad, isn't it?

May 19, 2005 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well the nice thing about an iPod is i can pull up the most played songs. So here we go:
1) Surfing on a Rocket and Cherry Blossom Girl: Air
2)New Slang: Shins
3)A Perfect Lie: The engine room(theme from Nip/Tuck...come on i know you watch it)
4)Laura: Scissor Sisters
5)Mr. Brightside: Killers
6)Slowhands: Interpol
7)Green Raven Blonde: Alpinestars
8)Wipe that Sound: Mouse on Mars
9)Finding out True Love is Blind: Louis XIV(ok, ok, i heard it on 89x, but i did like it)
10)Cloud: Fischerspooner

Of note, i find myself listening to a lot of depeche mode and cure covers. I would also point out some honorable mentions to the new NIN and Eels which i haven't listened to enough to make the cut. I guess my tastes have mellowed from the days of 1992 where my musical tastes gravitated towards music that at best sounded like strangling a dinosaur. Now most of the stuff i listen to sounds like it was make on a 1987 casio keyboard.

May 19, 2005 at 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home